How to prepare for your Garage Design Estimate Appointment
So you’ve done your due diligence and chosen a Garage enhancement company to come out and give you a free estimate.
Here’s a few things you can do in preparation:
- The more the designer can see in your garage, the less chance for redesign or mistakes during installation. So try and clear items away from outlets and exposed pipes.
- Make sure there’s room to walk and properly measure the areas you want to create more storage.
- Have an idea what you want the end result to be. (Don’t be afraid to be specific!!)
- I need garage cabinetsfor suitcases, tools, cleaning supplies and camping gear
- I want ceiling storage for old files, holiday decorations
- More electrical outlets for electric tools and a 2nd refrigerator
- I want to make the garage a play area for my kids
- I want to create cabinet storage and park both cars in the garage.
- I need a workbench to do my arts and crafts and fold laundry
- I need to hang my kayak
- Have a reasonable idea of what your budget is and a good designer will be able to help you design within your budget.
- Make sure you have a clear idea of what is needed and wanted! (scope of work, colors, materials)
- For best results, all decision makers should be present during the appointment so all questions can be answered at once.
Here are some things you should expect during your design session:
- Your designer should arrive promptly or call if late or lost
- The design session can take up to an hour depending on how many questions you have.
- A professional designer should ask you what you want and what you need in order to create an appropriate design. You’re a team!
- Ask them as many questions as you like. They ought to be knowledgeable on product, installation process, company, pricing, timing and competition.
- You should see samples of all the products.
- A design and an estimate are often available during the appointment.
- And if not the same day make sure you find out when it will be delivered
- These are all good indications of whether the company is trustworthy or not!
When making your decision consider the following 3 questions:
- Do you trust the designer / company?
- Do you like the product and design that you’ve worked out?
- Is it affordable?